One of the first things you will want to do is get your characters into d20pro. Currently, creating and editing of creatures is something that only a GM or Judge license has access to. Once your character has been entered into d20pro, updating it is pretty easy.
If you are a player, you have a few options:
- Upgrade your license to a Judge licence
- Use a trial judge license
- Use your GM's computer to enter the information or let your GM enter the character
- Use a Hero Labs (3.5 D&D) or WOTC's Character Builder (4E) to edit and maintain your characters. d20pro fully supports their character file types! You can give your GM the exported files from these programs and he/she can import them into d20pro in just seconds.
Creating a Character in d20pro
- To create a character, open the Creature Library and click New. A creature called Unknown will be created.
- Double-click Unknown's picture to open it.
- Choose your character portrait and fill out each tab on the character sheet.
- Character Sheet basic overview
- Detailed Information on editing creatures
- If you are creating a 4E character, see our 4th Edition Survival Guide for important file replacements and guidance
- Once you have your character entered, click the green check button to save it into the library
- Select the character and click the Export button. Your character will be saved to your d20pro\user\portable folder.
- You can now upload the character during play or email the file to your GM ahead of game time.
Importing From Another Application
- Create your character in the application. We currently support Hero Labs and WOTC's 4E Character Builder
- Save your character (WotC) or Export it to a d20pro file (Hero Labs).
- Send your file to your GM (on disk, email attachment, etc).
- The GM should then open the Creature Library in d20pro and click Import
- He/she then navigates to your character file and double-clicks it.
- Your character will now show up in the GM's library.
This is a player-only tool but is most applicable to installations with BOTH
a player and judge license. It allows players to upload creatures to the Judge for approval. Creatures to be uploaded must first be created and exported from a Judge client - player clients cannot create or manage creatures at this time.
Once exported, the creature is stored in a .d20_ctr file in the d20pro\user\portable folder
. When logged in as a Player, clicking on the Upload Creature button will show a list of all creatures in the folder.
At this point in time, Player-only clients cannot produce creatures so they must obtain these files from other users with a Judge license. Files can be copied & pasted into a player's folder for upload. This is a known limitation and we are working on producing a character editor that is accessible to users with Player-only licenses.